Teaching in Iroquois and Kankakee County
I-KAN's office monitors teacher and administrator licenses for approximately 2,100 educators in Iroquois and Kankakee counties. Continuing Professional Development Unit (CPDU) opportunities are provided for teacher recertification and Administrator's Academies are offered on a continuing basis to assist superintendents and principals fulfill their professional development requirements. The Professional Learning page has more information on the opportunitites I-KAN provides.
Navigating ISBE's Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)
The Illinois State Board of Education requires that all licensure transactions must be completed online in ELIS with a credit or debit card including all applications for licenses, endorsements, registration, payments and renewal of licenses. The ROEs may no longer accept payment. Please use INTERNET EXPLORER on a desktop or laptop when working in ELIS. Google Chrome will not process your payment correctly. No phone or tablet browsers work correctly.
- Start at isbe.net
- Click "TEACHERS" in the menu at the top of the page
- Click on "Log in to ELIS" button
- Under Educator Access click on Login to your ELIS account in the first column under EDUCATOR ACCESS
Educator Licensure Resources
- Detailed ELIS System Instructions including information about how to create an account, apply for endorsements, renewals and name changes
- ROEs-paraprofessional-license - How to apply and for and then register an ELS-Paraprofessional License. KCC now offers the required assessment. Contact 815-802-8350 or visit their website for more information.
- Substitute Teaching Info With PEL - for individuals who want to substitute teach and hold an Illinois Professional Educator's License
- Substitute Teaching Info WITHOUT PEL - for individuals who want to substitute teach but do not hold an Illinois Professional Educator's License
Substitute Teacher Fingerprinting
Call Bushue Background Screening at (877) 342-3042 or Schedule Online
ISBE Substitute Reimbursement
In efforts to reduce the substitute teacher shortage, the Illinois State Board of Education is now offering a reimbursement of application and registration fees to qualifying applicants. For a full list of requirements, please visit ISBE's informational page. If you meet these requirements, please complete form 73-02: Substitute License Fee Refund Request. This form must be returned to ISBE by the school or district official. Forms submitted by the applicant will not be honored.