Teaching in Iroquois and Kankakee County
I-KAN's office monitors teacher and administrator licenses for approximately 2,100 educators in Iroquois and Kankakee counties. Continuing Professional Development Unit (CPDU) opportunities are provided for teacher recertification and Administrator's Academies are offered on a continuing basis to assist superintendents and principals fulfill their professional development requirements. The Professional Learning page has more information on the opportunities I-KAN provides.
Navigating ISBE's Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)
The Illinois State Board of Education requires that all licensure transactions must be completed online in ELIS with a credit or debit card including all applications for licenses, registration, payments and renewal of licenses. The ROEs may no longer accept payment. Use a desktop or laptop when working in ELIS. Phone or tablet browsers do not work correctly.
- Start at isbe.net
- Click "TEACHERS" in the menu at the top of the page
- Click on "Log in to ELIS" button
- Under Educator Access click on Login to your ELIS account in the first column under EDUCATOR ACCESS
Educator Licensure Resources
- ELIS System Instructions - How to create an account, apply for endorsements and name changes.
- Paraprofessional Endorsement Instructions - How to apply for and register a Paraprofessional Endorsement. Kankakee Community College offers the required assessment. Call 815-802-8530 or visit their website for more information.
- Substituting with a Professional Educator License - For individuals who want to substitute teach and hold an Illinois Professional Educator's License (PEL).
- Substituting with a Bachelor's Degree - For individuals with a Bachelor Degree who want to substitute teach but do not hold an Illinois Professional Educator's License.
- Substituting as a Short Term Sub - For individuals with an associate's degree or 60 college credit hours. Limited short term substitute teaching license valid through June 30, 2023.
Substitute Teacher Fingerprinting
Call Bushue Background Screening at (877) 342-3042 or Schedule Online
ISBE Substitute Reimbursement
In efforts to reduce the substitute teacher shortage, the Illinois State Board of Education is now offering a reimbursement of application and registration fees to qualifying applicants. For a full list of requirements, please visit ISBE's informational page. If you meet these requirements, please complete form 73-02: Substitute License Fee Refund Request. This form must be returned to ISBE by the school or district official. Forms submitted by the applicant will not be honored.
Renewal Fees and Professional Development Requirements
Those who hold a Professional Educator License, Substitute Teaching License or Paraprofessional License, must renew every five years. All endorsements are renewed with the license.
Professional Development hours are required for teachers and school support services personnel each renewal cycle.
|License Type||Registration Fees||Required Professional Development Hours|
|Professional Educator License||$50 per five-year cycle||120 hours|
|Professional Educator License, Administration||$50 per five-year cycle||100 hours and one Administrator Academy per fiscal year|
|Educator License with Stipulations (Career Technical Education)||$50 per five-year cycle||No professional development required|
|Substitute Teaching License||$50 per five-year cycle||No professional development required|
|Short Term Substitute Teaching License||No additional fees/license expires 2023||No professional development required|
|Paraprofessional License||$30 per five-year cycle||No professional development required|