Teaching in Iroquois and Kankakee County
I-KAN's office monitors teacher and administrator licenses for approximately 2,100 educators in Iroquois and Kankakee counties. Continuing Professional Development Unit (CPDU) opportunities are provided for teacher recertification and Administrator's Academies are offered on a continuing basis to assist superintendents and principals fulfill their professional development requirements. The Professional Learning page has more information on the opportunities I-KAN provides.
Navigating ISBE's Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)
The Illinois State Board of Education requires that all licensure transactions must be completed online in ELIS with a credit or debit card including all applications for licenses, registration, payments and renewal of licenses. The ROEs may no longer accept payment. Use a desktop or laptop when working in ELIS. Phone or tablet browsers do not work correctly.
- Start at isbe.net
- Click "TEACHERS" in the menu at the top of the page
- Click on "Log in to ELIS" button
- Under Educator Access click on Login to your ELIS account in the first column under EDUCATOR ACCESS
Educator Licensure Resources
- ELIS System Instructions including information about how to create an account, apply for endorsements, renewals and name changes.
- Paraprofessional Endorsement Instructions - How to apply for and register a Paraprofessional Endorsement. Kankakee Community College offers the required assessment. Contact 815-802-8530 or visit their website for more information.
- Substituting with a PEL - For individuals who want to substitute teach and hold an Illinois Professional Educator's License (PEL).
- Substituting with a SUB - For individuals with a Bachelor Degree who want to substitute teach but do not hold an Illinois Professional Educator's License.
- Short Term Substitute - limited short term substitute teaching through June 30, 2023.
Substitute Teacher Fingerprinting
Call Bushue Background Screening at (877) 342-3042 or Schedule Online
ISBE Substitute Reimbursement
In efforts to reduce the substitute teacher shortage, the Illinois State Board of Education is now offering a reimbursement of application and registration fees to qualifying applicants. For a full list of requirements, please visit ISBE's informational page. If you meet these requirements, please complete form 73-02: Substitute License Fee Refund Request. This form must be returned to ISBE by the school or district official. Forms submitted by the applicant will not be honored.