Dr. Gregg Murphy, Regional Superintendent
Frank Petkunas, Assistant Superintendent
189 East Court Street Suite 600, Kankakee, IL 60901
Phone: 815.937.2950 Fax: 815.937.2921

     Home      Licensure      Schools      Workshops      Programs & Services      Employment      Resources      About


To learn more about the GED test, contact the I-KAN Regional Office of Education at (815) 937-2950.


GED Transcript & Diploma fees must be paid with cash or money order. I-KAN does not accept personal checks or credit/debit cards.

GED Transcript
                        $6…….7/1/16 – 6/30/17
                         $8……7/1/17 – 6/30/18
                       $10……7/1/18 – final increase
Transcripts show scores for each segment of the test. Official transcripts are in a sealed envelope, colleges and many employers require it to be “official.”

GED Diploma/Certificate $10

Add $1.00 for mailed transcripts and diplomas.

Read more here.

General Educational Development (GED)

The GED provides adults who did not complete high school an opportunity to earn a high school equivalency certificate by passing a series of tests in language arts, writing, social studies, science, reading and mathematics. Testing is administered at Kankakee Community College and other testing sites throught the State at www.GED.com.

Please see the "How to Guide" and the "After The GED" Instructions


General Information

Q: Where is the Regional Office of Education located?

The office in Kankakee County is located in the County Administration Building at 189 E. Court Street, Suite 600 in downtown Kankakee.  Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m, and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.  For more information, call (815) 937-2950. 

back to top


Q:  Am I eligible to take the GED?

As of January 2, 2014 an individual is eligible to take the GED test if he/she meets these guidelines:

  1. Is 17 years of age or older

  2. Is not a high school or GED graduate; and

  3. Has maintained residence in the state of Illinois for 30 days or longer.

Note:  If an individual is of school age and has been enrolled in a public, private or home school setting in the last 12 months, he/she must scan and upload a withdrawal letter stating the last date of attendance from the last school enrolled in before taking the GED test.

back to top


Q: Do I have to retake the constitution test if I passed it in high school?

No, you don’t because the constitution test is not part of the GED exam.  It is an Illinois state requirement that you pass the constitution test to receive the GED certificate.  Your passing grade for the constitution test is still valid if you passed it previously.  If you passed it at KCC, the I-KAN Regional Office of Education has your record.  If you passed it in high school and have not yet forwarded it to the I-KAN Regional Office of Education, contact your high school to request that a copy be sent to the I-KAN Regional Office of Education, 189 East Court St., Suite 600, Kankakee, IL 60901.  Ask the high school to make sure the transcript clearly indicates that you passed the Constitution test. If your name has changed since high school, have the high school official include your current name on the transcript.

back to top


Q:  Are classes available to prepare for the GED exam?

Yes.  KCC offers classes to study for the GED at no charge to the student.  Instructors will show you how to use the calculators and how to grid your answers in the mathematics format.    Contact KCC’s office of Adult and Community Education at (815) 802-8304 or 802-8300 for information and a free pre-test.

back to top

Updated 06.23.2015

Additional Information

Regional Office of Education Locations

Eligibility Requirements

The Constitution Test and the GED


Request for GED Transcript


© 2008 www.i-kan.org - All Rights Reserved.

  Contact Webmaster